Swim team starts season off strong at first two meets

Abby Knowles, Feature Editor, Ads Manager

The swim team started their season with two first place overall wins at the Round Rock Invitational and AISD Invitational. The team will travel to College Station on Saturday to compete in the Aggieland Invitational.
“Our goal for this season is to try and win region again,” senior Jonathan Broughton said. “We did it the past and I think we still have the depth and skill to do it again.”
On Oct. 23, Viper Swim attended the Round Rock meet where girls placed first and boys placed third. At this meet, junior Zach Bezella set a new record in the 200 IM.
“This is the first meet we’ve had all season, so it is a good barometer to see how we will do as our season progresses,” swim coach Kimberly Davies said. “Our season lasts year round, so this meet was a great way to see what kind of shape everyone is in and what tweaks we need to make going into the next round of meets.”
Last friday, at the AISD Invitational, senior Maddie Ibrahim won the 100 back in the 5A division. She is currently being scouted by TCU and Tulane.
“My success comes from training hard in the pool everyday, making sure I do the right techniques and eating right,” Ibrahim said.
The team has been training since the first day of school for these meets.
“I feel that I have ramped up my endurance and that I am in a lot better shape than I was at the beginning of the season,” freshman Kendall Shields said. “I feel that I will continue to get better as the season goes on.”