Student recruits

Tyndall far left playing in lacrosse game, Welliver in middle of the viper soccer team after winning state last season.

Madison Smith, Staff Writer

There are hundred of athletes that walk through the halls of Vandegrift, of those there are an elite group of students that have already been scouted by colleges. Two students, senior Megan Welliver and junior Blake Tyndall, have been offered full ride scholarships for their stand out athletic performances throughout high school.

Welliver is currently on the state-winning girls soccer team and the Lonestar Club soccer team. She has been playing soccer since she was 3 years old and has been supported by her family and friends the whole way.

“I have basically been playing since I could walk. I love soccer because as soon as I am on the field it makes me forget about all of the stress of school and life. I love the friendships I’ve made through soccer and I also absolutely love the feeling of scoring goals and winning,” Welliver said.

Many schools over the past year have approached Welliver and have wanted her to be a part of their team. She has been on many college visits and and weighed the options of different teams and campuses before she was able to make a final decision. Welliver finally decided to accept a soccer scholarship and sign with Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida.

“I didn’t know much about Rollins, but when I went to visit the campus it was just so pretty and I really fell in love with it. After that visit I was very excited about this scholarship offer at Rollins and decided to sign with them immediately,” said Welliver.

Along with Welliver, Tyndall has also signed to a college on scholarship. Tyndall will be playing lacrosse for the University of North Carolina starting in the year of 2017. After Tyndall graduates from Vandegrfit in 2016 he will be attending a prep school for a year and will be actively involved in preparing for his upcoming year of lacrosse at UNC in 2017.

“I’m mostly excited to play for UNC because of how good they are in lacrosse. They are ranked as one of the top five lacrosse teams. I’m hoping that while I am playing there I will be  a part of winning the national championship,” said Tyndall.

Lacrosse has been a big part of Tyndall’s life. After countless practices, games, tournaments, and camps his lifelong hobby has finally yielded the results he’s wanted

“I have been playing lacrosse since I was little. I started really playing when I was in the third grade and it has basically been my whole life ever since. Im so happy that all my hard work has payed off over the years,” Tyndall said.