72 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    71 °
    71 °
    73 °
    76 °
    79 °
    78 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    77 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
80°/ 66°
81°/ 70°
83°/ 70°

A Look into South Pacific

The Vandegrift Theatre Department and booster board presents the musical “South Pacific” Jan. 30 – Feb. 1 at 7 p.m. with a 2 p.m. matinée on Saturday. The production is sponsored by Arise Medical Tower at River Place and tickets can be purchased on the Vandegrift website for $15.

The musical takes place during World War II on a South Pacific island, where Nellie Forbush, a young Navy nurse from Arkansas, played by junior Victoria Brown, and a French plantation owner, Emile de Becque, played by senior Trey Dickerson and junior Nick Birk become romantically involved. During this time, Lieutenant Joe Cable, a U.S marine played by junior Aaron Daniels, arrives on the island for a spy mission that could change the outcome of the war and falls in love with Liat, a Tonkinese girl played by freshman Julia Hu. As the musical continues, more characters are introduced, relationships are tested, and the war changes the lives of many.

“I love the story line. It’s an absolutely beautiful story that was written filled with romance, adventure and some really awesome songs and dances,” Brown said.

South Pacific was adapted from the Pulitzer Prize winning novel “Tales of the South Pacific” by James A. Michener with music by Richard Rodgers and lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II.

“I’m so excited for people to see the show. Everyone has been working extremely hard to put this together, and I think the audience will enjoy it,” senior Elli Sumner said.