Should high school students trick-or-treat?

Alaina Galasso, Editor in Chief

High school students fight an internal battle over whether they should or shouldn’t trick-or-treat on Halloween. We have great childhood memories of dressing up in elaborate store-bought costume, approaching the scariest looking houses with family or friends and counting our candy at the end of the night. As fun as it was, once a student reaches high school, they are probably too old to go door to door asking for candy.

High school students who still trick-or-treat are either really into the spirit of Halloween or just want the free candy. But everyone knows that once a person reaches a certain age, it just isn’t socially acceptable to trick-or-treat anymore. There comes a time when one has to let go of such childish things. Trick-or-treating mainly targets younger children and their parents. No one wants high school students running around terrorizing their children the night of Halloween.

Once you’re at least a sophomore, its time to let go of trick-or-treating for good. It’s no longer appropriate to buy a legitimate costume and go door to door with your candy bag outstretched. There are many different ways to otherwise celebrate Halloween without imposing on a smaller children’s favorite holiday. High school students can still celebrate Halloween with scary movies, haunted houses or answering the door for the trick-or-treaters instead of being the one knocking.