Making A Case For A Formal Homecoming Dance

Lauren Goulet, Staff Writer

Students began thinking about homecoming as soon as school started, planning out what to wear, where to go for dinner, and who to take – making all the necessary preparations to ensure that it is a night they will never forget. A casual homecoming, although it takes less preparing as students can attend immediately after the football game, does not carry the same significance as a high school tradition.

Homecoming is supposed to be the night when girls spend hours perfecting their hair and makeup, while being careful not to smudge their freshly manicured nails. And guys slip on their best ties and hope their dates like the new cologne they bought for the occasion. A casual “rave” with students coming fresh out of the crowded, humid football stadium after a long night of cheering and standing in the bleachers does no t live up to the standards and expectations of the student body.

Leander ISD’s four other high schools will have a formal homecoming, and Vandegrift deserves to be part of the tradition as well. Several girls have already gone dress shopping in stores and online, and have the perfect dress and shoe combinations picked out in hopes that the administration will decide on a formal dance.

“Of course I already have a dress picked out, looking right is what matters. Any dance isn’t about the dance itself, it’s about what goes into it – buying the perfect dress, getting ready with your friends, everything that comes with it,” junior Deedee Woche said.

A Friday night dance also presents a problem for our varsity football players, who are not only tired from playing, but have to miss out on the beginning of the dance to clean up after the game.

“The last thing I want to do after a game is go to a social event,” senior football player Austin Evans said.

This year’s “R.A.V.E.” has already provided students with the opportunity to attend a casual dance, and it is time to put on a traditional, formal homecoming.

We can all relate to the mixed feelings of excitement and anxiousness before the dance begins, and the thrill of exchanging compliments with friends while admiring each other’s dresses or cute new shoes. We all know how great it feels to look our best and make sure we take enough pictures to create an entire new Facebook album and relive each moment when we look through them on Sunday afternoon. The experience of homecoming only comes once a year, and the administration should allow a formal dance to make it special and memorable for all of us.

Response from VHS Principal, Mr. Little

Thank you for your questions and support for a formal homecoming dance.   

The decision was made to not do a Saturday evening homecoming formal due to the fact that 179 band students and other athletes would be unable to attend. Our Viper band and Vision Dance Company are at Area competition that weekend, and will hopefully advance to state.  While I realize that doing a dance immediately following the game is not ideal, we will do our best to make it a fun night for everyone.

Although the other high schools may be doing a formal homecoming, they do not do a Winter Formal.  We have set our Winter Formal date for January 14th, and as there are few calendar conflicts on this date, most students will be able to attend.

I believe you can still do all of things you like about a formal homecoming at the Winter Formal.  For next year, we can use Student Council to survey students and see if they want to cancel the Winter Formal and do a formal homecoming instead.

Also, Vandegrift’s first Prom has been set for May 5th at the Austin Country Club.