Vandegrift students attend March For Our Lives

Elena Aventa, Staff Reporter

On Saturday, students and families held a march in Washington, D.C. to demand an end to gun violence and mass shootings. The event was organized by survivors of the Stoneman Douglas shooting who have decided to take a stand against gun violence. In addition to the main march in Washington, there were over 800 marches held around the world.

“I did the march because I want to do everything I can to spread awareness concerning gun control and how it affects the students of our country,” junior Daisy Green said.

One of the sister events for March For Our Lives was held in Austin on Saturday. It began at the Austin City Hall at 12:00 p.m., and the march continued through the city to the Capitol, where there were guest speakers to talk about the movement.

“I really liked hearing everyone speak,” sophomore Amishi Singh said. “Because I think everyone has a different perspective about it so it was really nice getting to hear a bunch of people talk.”

If you couldn’t attend the march, there are other ways you can support the cause. There is a petition on the MarchForOurLives website with over 260,000 signatures in an effort to get better gun control. You can also make a donation to support the march in Washington D.C. as well as the Broward Education Foundation.  

“It was exciting to see all of us come together,” Green said. “Especially the large group of Vandegrift students that went.”