Senior Anna Gressett wins first place in annual Kicking for Cash event

realestateinaustin.com+photo

realestateinaustin.com photo

Jennifer Walker, Editor-in-Chief

From soccer, to cheer, and back to kicking, senior Anna Gressett participated in the annual Kicking for Cash event on Friday night, winning the first place prize for cheer.

“I was very nervous,” Gressett said. “I had butterflies in my stomach, there was a lot of anxiety. There was a lot of pressure too because there’s 2,000 people watching you and you don’t really want to mess up.”

Kicking for Cash is an annual event put on by band and sponsored by Craig Smyser, where students compete in a field goal kicking contest to win money for their organization.

“I like that it’s a fundraiser that gets all of the organizations on campus involved,” band director Stephanie Grote said. “You physically see all the different organizations represented on the field.”

Gressett was the most unique participant on the field, as she was a left kicker.

“I do not think there’s an disadvantage or advantage at being [a left kicker],” Gressett said. “[But] you definitely see the more dominant kickers. Pretty much every person that did this event was a right kicker.”

Each organization chooses their representative for the event. Gressett participated in the event last year. Cheer thought that Gressett would practice for the event.

Gressett’s practicing paid off when she got on the field that night. She kicked the ball from the 15 yard line in the final round against senior Garrett Moore and junior Aidan Seth.

“I definitely would do it again,” Gressett said. “Unfortunately it is my senior year so I won’t be able to do it again, but hopefully others will come and see how fun this event was.”