FFA teams place in their divisions at competition

Jennifer Walker, Editor-in-Chief

At a FFA competition on Nov. 16, 4 out of the 5 FFA teams that attended placed in their divisions. Students competed in the Senior Creed, Public Relations, Senior Skills, Junior Skills, Senior Skills, and Agriculture Issues Forum divisions.

“I was excited,” agriculture teacher Magan Escamilla said. “I have a lot of confidence in my students and know what kind of time they put in to prepare.”

Vandegrift moved up to 6A this year, so the competition was close. Sr. Creed placed 4th, Public Relations 6th, Sr. Skills 8th, and Jr. Skills 6th.

“We did not advance to the state competition this year,” Escamilla said. “We are close enough to taste it and we’re already excited for leadership development next season.”

In the Jr. skills division students had to demonstrate an agricultural skill to a group of judges.

“When competing, it was of course slightly nerve wracking, but competitions are my thing so I was super excited to give it my team’s all,” junior Madeleine Rawlings said.

Members of FFA say they are very close.

“One of the cool things about FFA is we are pretty much a family,” senior Trevor Gotcher said. “We have each other’s back and when it really comes down to it we’re always there for each other.”

FFA will attend an LISD stock show in a few weeks. Each school in LISD raised money to buy stuff for the show.

“I’m really excited for the show,” Gotcher said. “This year the students had a big part in making the show. We helped raise money and are helping get the word out.”

Students say that they enjoy being a part of FFA.

“FFA has become my new home away from home,” Rawlings said. “It gives me the constant chance to challenge myself, make new friends, and learn new things. FFA is a dream that became my reality.”