Theatre hosts a one-day donation drive

Sophomore theatre student Madison Woodrom helps load the truck used to bring the donated items to Savers.

Alaina Galasso, Editor in Chief

Theatre is hosting a one-day donation drive on Saturday. The fundraiser is partnered with Savers, where the theatre department will earn money for each pound of goods collected. Anyone can donate any gently used clothing, shoes, accessories, books or small household items at the three drop off zones that will be open.

“[This fundraiser] is a great idea so we can simplify and edit the things out of our lives that we aren’t using,” theatre director Neal Gage said. “The theatre department gets money, it benefits the community and supporters of the theatre get rid of unneeded items: a win-win-win for everyone.”

Donations will be accepted from 9am-4pm in the VHS Fine Arts parking lot and from 9am-3pm at Sun Tree Park in River Place and Towne Square in Steiner Ranch. Also, donations can be picked up directly from your house if you contact [email protected]. The department is asking for smaller items to be placed in trash bags before they are collected.

“It’s fantastic to see that students are able to give to community, while at the same time supporting a department that they’ve found a home in,” senior and Drama Club president Isabela Spielman said.

Savers needs clothing and books more than anything and will not accept any large household items.  The theatre department will earn $0.20 per pound for soft goods and $0.05 per pound for hard goods. The money earned will help pay for all six of the theatre productions this year, including the musical Cinderella in Jan.

“I am so excited and thankful that the community is supporting the VHS theatre department,” junior and Drama Club press secretary Bradford Smitherman said. “I am proud to be a part of this department and can’t wait for the musical!”