Class of 2019 to receive district laptops

Emma-Rose Floyd, News Editor

Homework and classroom learning is going completely viral. On Nov. 11 from 6:30 – 8 p.m., parents will be able to attend an informational meeting about their freshman students’ opportunity to check out district-owned laptops next semester as a part of the district’s Mobile Learning Initiative (mLISD).
“I’m excited that students will continue to have the opportunity to bring their own device or use the new district laptops,” principal Charlie Little said. “We want students to be college ready, and you definitely need a portable device to be successful in college.”
Starting Jan. 4 of next year, freshmen will be issued district owned laptops for innovative teaching and learning throughout the school year. Students will have the opportunity to check out convertible, touch-screen Lenovo ThinkPad laptops equipped with Windows 8.1. They will also be issued with cases.
“I think it’s a great idea,” freshman Justin Jalamo said. “They will be extremely helpful with schoolwork.”
During the meeting, parents will learn about the technology and how to use it. They will receive information such as an overview of LISD’s plan for the technology and how to pay for the opportunity, currently priced at $35 to cover damage protection and warranty cost. Students will still be able to bring their own devices to school and use them in class, as they have since 2012. The same laptops will be re-issued at the beginning of the next school year.
“I believe the new laptops will be a great opportunity,” freshman Shianne Galasso said. “Not every kid has this kind of technology at home, so I think it will be a good change.”
For the last couple of years, laptops have been instituted throughout high schools in the United States. Schools in Colorado, Texas, New York and other states have tried this technology plan with successful results.
“Of course, we have been strong advocates of BOYT since we opened,” Little said. “But now we are ready to take it to the next level by ensuring that every student has access to quality technology to enhance and personalize their learning experience.”