Choir hosts talent showcase “Unplugged”

Sophia Alaniz, Web Editor

The choir department had their second “Unplugged” on Thursday a showcase that started last year, which they hope to make an annual show. This was the first time auditions were open to the Vandegrift student body and there were 15 performers in total, along with a surprise performance from the women’s choral at the end of the show. Each singer either had an accompanist or played their own instrument, ranging from ukuleles to pianos.

The choir room was packed with 130-150 audience members.

“It was the best show that I have ever put on,” choir director Micheal Feris said. “The kids were awesome– just 15 solid kids [and] it was very well received by the audience, just awesome.”

The students had been preparing for this show everywhere from weeks to months.

“I’ve been practicing for two weeks,” junior Halle Hill said. “Even though it’s it’s kinda scary to sing in front of people you know it’s also exciting and I definitely feel confident enough.”

The idea of Unplugged came from their spring show; it is for kids who don’t express a passion for choral music.

“Surprisingly the kids came in and about 80 percent  of them accompanied themselves,” Feris said. “We have a lot of kids [at Vandegrift] who maybe don’t connect to chorale music, but they love singing and performing”

The proceeds from the show go to support the choir program. Every person contributed $5 by the purchasing of their ticket.

“I just like trying out for as many opportunities as I can,” singer Ysela Fernandez said. “Because it looks good and it’s fun.”