Prepping for Project Graduation

Maria Krychniak, Staff Writer

The Project Graduation committee is raising money to fund their event to hold after graduation. The committee is also looking for more parents and community members to join and get involved.

“The whole community comes together to raise money for this event”, coordinator of Project Graduation, Sareta Heath said. “Everyone can help raise money for this great cause by eating at a restaurant on a designated donation night, or parents and businesses also have the opportunity to sponsor the event. We host and raise money for this event every year for seniors, as it is the last time for them to all be together.”

Vandegrift High School’s graduation will be held June 4, at 8 a.m. at the Cedar Park Center. After the ceremony is finished, students will have the opportunity to go to Project Graduation later that evening at 10:30 p.m.. Students will board buses at 10:45 p.m. and head to Dave and Busters where Project Graduation is set to take place. Invitations will be sent out starting the beginning of April.

“The senior class will have access to the venue and will be given power cards to play the games,” Heath said. “Food, beverages, and desserts will be provided throughout the night as well as breakfast in the morning. There will also be drawing for door prizes such as gift cards.”

The primary aim of Project Graduation is not just to throw a party for graduating seniors, but to also inform and increase awareness of the dangers of drinking, drugs and driving under the influence. Project Graduation hopes to reduce the number of youth involved in alcohol and drug related car accidents. Project Graduation is committed to doing chemical free activities to celebrate the graduation of high school seniors and all seniors are encouraged to participate.

“Project Graduation is a safe, alcohol-free and drug-free party that is organized and managed 100% by volunteer parents of graduating seniors and funded 100% by parent and community donations and contributions,” Heath said. “Statistics show that graduation night is one of the deadliest for kids drinking and driving. High schools across the country celebrate Project Graduation with the same common goal to keep our seniors safe after their graduation ceremony. We’re hoping for a big turnout and hope that all seniors consider coming and hope that they’ll enjoy themselves by celebrating their high school achievements and by having a good time.”