Legacies brave weather for dance competition

Emma-Rose Floyd, News Editor

The Legacies recently hosted the ADTS Austin Sr Dance Classic, a major fundraiser for the team that includes middle school and high school dance teams across the county. The competition was cancelled on Feb. 28 and held on March 1 instead due to the inclement weather.

“The delay was very unexpected, but we managed to pull it off,” sophomore Maddie Cook-Saunders said.

The event to lost many participants due to the change of date. The team worked throughout the day Friday to prepare the campus for the event, creating posters and cleaning the dance gym for the visitors. The preparations were kept up until the competition was over. Winners included dancers from a variety of middle schools and high schools. Star Dancers Dance Company and BYC dance company were also invited to compete. Four Points and Canyon Ridge Middle School attended, as well as high schools such as James Bowie, Westlake, Stony Point, Lake Travis, Round Rock and Killeen. Four Points and Canyon Ridge both won sweepstakes, as well as the Star Dancers Company and Killeen, Westlake and Bowie High Schools. The Star Dancers’ team, the Tiny Dancers, also received first in single division.

“I felt very fortunate that so many individuals wanted to help make it a successful day, despite the setbacks we faced,” assistant director Katie Reeves said. “I definitely felt relieved by the end of the day, and I am hopeful that next year all will go according to schedule.”