Philosophy club discusses the meaning of existentialism

Maria Krychniak

Sessen Stephanos leads the discussion in philosophy club

Maria Krychniak, Staff Writer

The Philosophy Club discusses world issues, and theories, that connect science, religion, and life into someone’s personal opinion.

“I have learned a lot being in Philosophy Club,” senior Erin Fahey said. “I get to listen to the opinions of my peers on the topics being discussed and whether I just listen, or give my input, every week I always learn something new in Philosophy Club.”

President Sessen Stephanos and VP Max Bernhardt run the club and make sure that there is a different topic to discuss every week. Topics range from existentialism to how Americans deal with poverty.

“I love all the topics that we talk about,” senior Nikki Jaynes said. “But out of the many topics that we have discussed, I think I like the topic of existentialism the most. Existentialism is where we talk about what our purpose is in life and the opinions I hear are always interesting.”

In the club, everyone has the opportunity to share their own opinion on what is being discussed. Students may disagree or agree and have debates to prove their point.

“It is interesting how other people might think something differently then you do,” senior Dana Brannon said. “Not everyone agrees with each other, but I guess that’s the purpose. Listening to other people’s viewpoints helps me broaden my mind, and helps me understand how other people might view something.”

Although Philosophy Club is about giving your input about what you think about the subject being discussed, Stephanos and Bernhardt ensure the club is not a place where people will be criticized on their opinion. In philosophy club everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

“We make sure that Philosophy Club is a safe environment for anyone and everyone.”  Bernhardt said. “Everyone has the choice whether to share or not to share and if they do share, everyone’s opinion is welcome.”

Philosophy.com states that participating in philosophy discussions, or learning about philosophy can enhance a person’s learning ability, as well as helps people become more open minded to other opinions. Philosophy.com also says that philosophy can help with seeing the “bigger picture” and helps you become a well-rounded individual.

“I love Philosophy Club because hearing the opinions of other people have allowed me to open my mind more,” senior Nikita Batra said. “Philosophy Club has made me rethink some of my beliefs and everyone should join philosophy club so that they can have an opportunity to learn about the universe.”