Record-Breaking Number of Choir Students Advance to Area

Kelly Honts, Web Editor

The choir made history last week with a record-breaking six students (Cami Everitt, Ciara Agrella, Emily Adams, Nick Birk, Ericka Myers, and Alex Myers) advancing to Area auditions. Before this year only two Vandegrift students had ever progressed this far in the choir All-State competition.

“I’m so excited to have this many students advancing to Area,” choir director Michael Feris said. “Each and every one of them has put in so much hard work and really deserves this.”

Area will be the last audition for these students, with the top half of auditioners making it into the All-State choir.

“At this point it’s just luck. All of these singers are good enough to be in the All-State choir, it just depends on how their audition goes,” Feris said.

During their auditions the students will be required to sing excerpts from two pre-learned songs, in addition to a sight-reading piece.

“I practice for at least 30 minutes everyday,” sophomore Erika Myers, who came in first chair at her two past auditions, said.

Area auditions will take place Jan. 10, at Midway High School in Waco. Students who make it into the All-State choir will participate in a clinic from Feb. 11-13 with concert following on Feb. 14 in San Antonio.

“I really think this will be the year we have someone make the All-State choir,” Feris said.