PALS meet their PALees for the first time

PALS+show+school+spirit+by+greeting+students+at+the+front+doors.+

Abby Brosette

PALS show school spirit by greeting students at the front doors.

Alaina Galasso, Editor in Chief

PALS met with their PALees for the first time last week. They traveled last Thursday and Friday to their period’s assigned school: Steiner Ranch Elementary, Laura Welsh Bush Elementary, Canyon Ridge Middle School, River Ridge Elementary, River Place Elementary, Four Points Middle School or Grandview Hills Elementary. Each PAL is assigned to a kid and acts as that kid’s teen mentor for the rest of the school year.

“The students were prepared, and even if they were scared they acted confident,” PAL sponsor Mrs. Gallagher said. “It was the best beginning we’ve ever had.

PALS stands for Peer Assistance, Leadership and Service. The PAL program aims to teach students leadership skills, which will then be applied while serving others in the community. PALS are also involved with other activities at the feeder schools such as field days, book fairs, C2, the homecoming parade and community meetings.

“My favorite part last year was definitely getting to spend time with all the kids,” senior PAL Steven Allen said. “I am extremely excited for this year!”

The PAL/PALee system is a vital part of the PAL class. They prepare for their visits by reviewing the PAL handbook, which covers the guidelines, rules and goals of the program. They also discussed making sure the kids are comfortable and included while visiting with their PALS. The PALS were expected to send a letter to their PALee’s parents before meeting their PAL to get to know them a bit more.

“Our job is to mentor them and just simply be their friend,” senior PAL Hanna Brown said. “We hopefully give them something during the day where they can go have fun, be themselves and gain confidence.”

PALS have been mentoring kids since the start of the organization when the school opened. Veteran PALS have the possibility of uniting with their old PALees.

“If we can achieve the PALS purpose of ensuring that these kids have someone there for them then they are much more likely to succeed in other things in school and in their social lives,” Brown said.