All District Choir: best show to date

Madison Smith, Staff Writer

Choir is coming out very strong this school year. 86.6% of the students that auditioned for the All District choir show are advancing to the next regional competition. After countless hours of rehearsals and practicing, VHS choir is feeling confident in front of the judges as they step into the spotlight.

“VHS singers are very prepared. I anticipate high numbers advancing at the next level as well,” choir director, Michael Feris, said.

There were a total of eight kids that landed in the top five positions from Vandegrift. Senior and long time member of the choir program, Alex Meyers, got third chair in her Alto section.

“I love singing a lot and also enjoy breaking off and working as group,” Meyers said.

The competition itself runs on a very structured organization, and expects professional and mature behavior from participants. Once the choir students turn in their electronics and get warmed up, they wait for their section to be called. Once their name is called they step into the room with the judges, the door closes, music plays, and the audition for the practiced, yet anxious choir participants has begun.

The choir students have dedicated a lot of time in preparations for their auditions. They spent countless amounts of hours practicing on their own, memorizing songs, and attending after school choir practices. Senior Naomi Rapier’s practice paid off, as she placed fourth chair for the Alto 2’s in the district choir competition.

“To practice I get the tracks of the music and listen to them over and over and over again while I do my homework. I memorize the songs well enough so I can sing it in my sleep,” Rapier said.

The time and effort put in by the 36 students advancing has been a catalyst for their successful auditions this past weekend at the competition. Rapier goes on to describe her passion for singing, and how it makes all the hard work worth it.

“Some songs will just send chills up my spine. I love being apart of something that creates something so beautiful, it really just buoys me up to be there. Everyone sounds so pretty and beautiful it just blows my mind,” Rapier said

The Vandegrift choir director, Feris, expresses how he is very optimistic for the upcoming Regionals competition.