Piccolo player to perform with U.S. Army All-American Band

Back to Article
Back to Article

submitted photo

submitted photo

submitted photo

Sarah Hassal was recently selected for the U.S Army All-American Band and will perform with them on Jan. 5 at the U.S Army All-American Bowl. “I think it is outstanding for her to represent not only herself, but the band and school at such a prestigious event,” Mike Howard, Associate Director of Bands, said. Hassall and Director of Bands Jeremy Spicer smile after the ceremony.

Denise Bui, Web Editor

Senior piccolo player Sarah Hassall was selected as one of 125 high school senior musicians from across the country to be a part of the U.S. Army All-American Band.

Sarah’s selection into this esteemed band was due to her time and effort through a strenuous audition process.

“I had to get nominated by my band director, then send a video of our marching and of a solo piece and why I wanted to be an All-American,” Hassall said. “It was really exciting because it is a really selective group and I am really excited to meet all of the other students.”

The U.S. Army All-American Bowl has been the nation’s leading high school football game for over 12 years. It has launched the careers of many of America’s top athletes such as Mark Sanchez, Andrew Luck, Tim Tebow, Ndamukong Suh, Adrian Peterson and Marcus Lattimore.

“I think it is outstanding for her to represent not only herself, but the band and school at such a prestigious event,” Associate Director of Bands Mike Howard said.

Sarah will perform with the other members of the band at the 2013 U.S. Army All-American Bowl on Jan. 5 in front of a crowd of nearly 40,000 spectators at the Alamodome in San Antonio. This national sporting event will be televised over the weekend of the game.

“This experince will help me a lot with building leadership and team work skills,” Hassell said. “I have music and the drills so now I have to prepare for the actual event.”