71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    71 °
    71 °
    73 °
    76 °
    79 °
    78 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    77 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
81°/ 70°
83°/ 70°
74°/ 68°
Moderate rain

Homecoming Pep-Rally Wrap-Up

Once a year, the Four Points Community comes together as a whole to celebrate the future success of Vandegrift High School activities and the third annual homecoming for the school.  Vandegrift celebrated their first homecoming since the Class of 2012 graduated.  The parade on Wednesday, September 19 was only a prelude to the pep rally that brought together both current vipers and future stars as well. 

“I thought it was really cool to see the entire community rally like that. It really showed school pride,” Brooks Gillespey (11), one of the Legacies honor guards, said.

The Vision Dance Company and the Viper band kicked off the rally with a performance of American in Paris featuring George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue.  All of the extra-curricular activities each got there moment of fame running through the giant football helmet usually reserved for the football team.  Each fall sports team got represented with a speech by their team captains, all leading up to the big speech by Coach Sanders and Mason Hargreaves pepping up the community for the big game against Anderson on Friday, September 21.

“The pep rally was a lot of fun and the Flash Mob was pretty crazy to be in,” Jordan Sonnier (12) said.

The football team paid special tribute to the cheerleaders by giving each girl on the squad a white flower.  After a performance by the Varsity cheerleaders, the homecoming court proceeded to be introduced to the crowd on the football field. Freshmen Prince and Princess are Tanner Lee and Lauren Haley.  Sophomore Prince and Princess are Jack Hanna and Delaney Saragusa. Junior Prince and Princess are Elliott Byrd and Caroline Zanot. The nominees for homecoming King are Alec Masterson, Mitch McShane and Chase Smith. The nominees for homecoming Queen are Taylor Allen, Lindsey Atencio and Brittany Von Oldenburg.  The 2012 Vandegrift King and Queen are Mitch McShane and Brittany Von Oldenburg.

“It was quite the honor, and really exciting to be Homecoming Queen . When I was in high school I always thought the people who were nominated were really cool, but I never thought I would be nominated,” Brittany Von Oldenburg (12) said.

An added surprise at the end of the pep rally was the Flash Mob that all of the athletes and extra-curricular participants came together to perform a dance in front of the community. The entire Four Point’s community attended Wednesday night’s pep rally to support all of the students in attendance at Vandegrift High School.

“The Flash Mob was fun, but I wish it was more of a surprise instead of everyone knowing about it,” Dylan Hosek (12) said.