60 °
    61 °
    63 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
    71 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    69 °
    67 °
    67 °
    66 °
    66 °
    66 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    64 °
    64 °
    64 °
    64 °
    64 °
    64 °
April 19
68°/ 60°
Moderate rain
April 20
63°/ 56°
Moderate rain
April 21
59°/ 49°
Patchy rain nearby

Honor Code: Students Have Duty To Act

Most students can admit to cheating, even if we’re ashamed of it. The University of Missouri reported ninety-five cases of cheating, only three of which were dismissed. A majority of the charges were plagiarism and cheating on homework, leading to nine probations and two expulsions. Cheating isn’t something to joke about. Students in high school who repeatedly cheat are more likely to cheat in college as well, and that could lead to serious consequences.

“Vandegrift High School has high expectations,” Mr. Connor said, “and the Honor Code helps take ownership of those expectations. I think it’s fitting for our school.”

A committee of counselors, teachers, administrators, librarians and students were assembled, from 2010 to 2011, in order to define the acts of cheating and the procedures that should be followed to punish said dishonesty. This code is meant to keep students respectful, honorable and responsible; with the goal of helping students to stay on the right track for college.

“The Honor Code is a Duty to Act. It’s a call to come together towards an honorable school,” Mr. Haase, assistant principal, said. “It goes way beyond cheating, it’s a way to act when someone is being bullied or when a classmate isn’t getting the attention they need.”

This code is distinctive to our school and requires not only academic honesty but the willingness to respond instead of doing nothing. The Honor Code asks us to make a difference, as opposed to sitting back and watching other peers cheat without a reaction.

The Honor Code addresses acts of dishonesty using a set standard of procedures to assess the penalty. Cheating is defined as copying anything from other students’ work or copying computer or other technological databases, using unauthorized materials on tests and exams, sharing test topics with following classes, collaborating during tests or exams, distributing unauthorized copies of tests, bribery for test materials or answers and using cell phones or other electronics during a test or exam.

“You’re better off dealing with the consequences of not being fully prepared than the consequences of cheating,” Mr. Lindsay said. “It’s just not worth it. The Honor Code has no ambiguity and leaves no wiggle room.”

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud,” Sophocles said.