71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    71 °
    71 °
    73 °
    76 °
    79 °
    78 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    77 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
81°/ 70°
83°/ 70°
74°/ 68°
Moderate rain

Vipers Fighting for a Cause: Relay for Life

The Vandegrift Key Club is hosting its first annual Relay For Life April 15-16, 2011 6 P.M. to 6 A.M at Canyon Ridge Middle School. The American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life is a community event where people come together to remember loved ones, inspire others, and celebrate life in an overnight walkathon. Relay for Life is a chance to make a difference in the fight against cancer. The money raised will fund lifesaving research, education, advocacy, and service programs. Sign up a team, join a team, or donate at: www.relayforlife.org/vandegrifthstx today.

Teams are set up with members ranging from just a few to several dozen. At least one member of each team must be walking around the track for the full twelve hours. Businesses, families, and individuals are able to pledge money to contribute to the fight against cancer. They can donate a set amount for every hour the team walks or a one sum amount towards the cause. Each person in the group is asked to help find others who will contribute to funding the fight. Dedication is something that these people have to drive them to be a part of making a difference.

“I am a part of Relay for Life because I not only want to walk for a cause, but I am able to walk alongside those who are personally involved in their fight against cancer. Team Eustice is in honor of Ms. Eustice. Many know her as the friendly, caring chemistry teacher here at Vandegrift. She has supported so many students and in return we want to support her and her family during her fight. She has been so strong which has inspired my team and me to fight to make a difference,” Key Club President and Captain of Team Eustice, Moriah Gonzales said.

Entertainment, food, and fun is a guarantee during this impacting event. Karaoke, a deejay and live performances from students and local bands will fill the air with constant music. Food from local businesses will be provided for a meal or just a sweet treat to snack on. Games and activities sponsored by businesses, teams, and Key Club itself will keep the event going on and alive all night… even when the tiredness hits.

“My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago. And because my grandpa died from lung cancer, so she was scared for her own future as well. But my mom and I were able to help her and be there for her during the fight. My family and I have a lot of friends who are going through the battle of cancer right now and it’s a good chance that another person in my family will eventually go through it. It feels good to know that I am a part of something that is support of something that’s close to my heart,” junior McKenzie Gillespey said.