83 °
    84 °
    85 °
    86 °
    86 °
    88 °
    88 °
    85 °
    83 °
    81 °
    79 °
    77 °
    76 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    72 °
    72 °
    73 °
    75 °
    79 °
    82 °
    84 °
    86 °
May 8
90°/ 74°
May 9
89°/ 68°
May 10
79°/ 64°
Overcast

Clubs Preparing For Relay For Life

On April 15th-16th from 6 pm to 6 am, Vandegrift High School will host Relay for Life, a walk-a-thon sponsored by the American Cancer Society. PALS, NHS, Student Council, Key Club and Interact will all be participating in Relay for Life, as well as individual students. Several students have also created “Team Eustice” in honor of science department chair and Chemistry teacher Mrs. Eustice, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, inviting her to walk with them.

“Any amount of money we can raise is great,” Mrs. Wilson, Vandegrift counselor and sponsor of Key Club, said. In 2010, Relay for Life raised $5.5 million across the country in high schools alone. The money from Relay for Life goes to research programs, support and treatment programs, management, fundraising and other activities by the American Cancer Society.

The event will require volunteers to plan in advance. Those who participate in the walk can organize into teams. For the 12 hour walk, each team must have one member on the track at all times. Each member will get pledges to raise money for the cancer research. Members that are not walking will be able to enjoy food, entertainment and music while they set up camps, tents and tables.

There will be several honorary laps dedicated to certain people. Those who have suffered from cancer or know someone who had cancer will be able to walk in a special lap. Relay for Life will also have Luminaria, where candle-filled bags will light up the track.

“I think it’s important that as many people as possible come to help out,” Denise Bui, a member of a Relay for Life team, said. “It’s a great cause and will be lots of fun.”