UNICEF club is “for every child”

Through education and outreach, UNICEF club continues to promote child to child aid, globally and locally.

UNICEF+club+members+latest+November+meeting+includes+working+to+advocate+for+children+and+pass+around+club+merchandise.+

Nivitha Kandula

UNICEF club members latest November meeting includes working to advocate for children and pass around club merchandise.

Abby Lincks, Editor

Discussion of world problems surrounding inaccessibility to clean water, children’s education, child marriage and other major issues can be difficult to move from discussion to a resolved resolution. Through UNICEF (United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund), students have the opportunity to put their best effort to at least voice their concerns and opinions over what they feel must be changed, surrounding issues that are not easy to achieve on a wide scale.

With over twenty student members, UNICEF club meetings are held in club sponsor’s Ms. Mogab’s room (2307) on a monthly basis. Presentations to educate students about current issues and events surrounding the life of children globally and locally to promoting a helpful organization or nonprofit, UNICEF also provides a multitude of outreach opportunities, encouraging students to get more involved. 

“Our first meeting, we talked about community building and finding opportunities to promote and integrate the work in UNICEF to everywhere,” member Vanessa Rubio said. 

In contrast with global change, students can reach out to local council members, political representatives and other organizations or reach out to nearby children in need, making change happen.

“We’ve made cards for kids with terminal illnesses, stuff like that, just so children can help feel supported,” president Athena Galatis said. 

Despite partaking in the accomplishment of smaller activities, vice-president Nivitha Kandula still hopes it will make somewhat of a difference, especially surrounded by a group of people with similar values.

“The club has helped me just by realizing to be grateful for what I have been privileged with,” Rubio said. “My life, others have been fighting for everyday.”

As the club is centered around children, historian Natalie Denison explains that UNICEF favors teen outreach and advice, promoting children to children education and aid. 

“I would say everyone’s really willing to open their minds to things that we probably don’t see in our community because it’s very privileged here,” Galatis said. 

Virtual last year due to COVID-19, the club focused more on educational presentations than face-to-face outreach, since tangible activities weren’t an option. Since then, less students are currently in the club, having dropped out to conflicting virtual schedules last year, making a large goal by UNICEF leaders to be for more students to be both aware of the club and strive to help children. 

“I want people to feel empowered to help other people, especially children because they’re the future of the world,” Galatis said. 

Denison says through gaining larger membership, the club would be open to more activities, fundraising and petition bigger projects and donations at school and district-wide. 

“From National Honor Society(NHS), we could help promote it more and maybe, this is a bit of a stretch, we might plan a district event or something,” Kandula said. “We might think of having this Monday where the district UNICEF clubs can come together and work on some project.”

Step-by-step, UNICEF club strives to increase in popularity, enticing students to think of the motto “For every child,” and want to do something beneficial about it. 

“If other people want to get involved in the community, UNICEF is a good place to start,” Rubio said. “It’s not just a little club, this is also a nationwide thing.”