Club members’ passion for A.D. team

Photographed by: Sophia Robinson

Members of the Accepting Differences team enjoy fun activities during their second meeting of the year

Gabriella Sevieri, Staff Reporter

Everyone deserves a best friend. This is what the accepting differences team’s big message for their members is. Meetings have begun and are being held every Friday during PIT. This year’s A.D. team is excited for what the year has to hold. 

The AD team focuses mainly on students at Vandegrift, but the team’s awareness is expanding fast. Students involved in the club feel passionately about the topic and new members are always welcome as well.  

“I’ve wanted to join the AD team since day one,” said junior Maizie Heidger. “I know how hard it is to make friends, so getting to be there for people and having them know they can count on me is a big part of why I joined.”  

For about 4 and a half years the team has been spreading awareness about including kids with special needs.

“I love the idea of the Accepting Differences Team and what it stands for, this was a big reason for my joining,” said sophomore Rachel Richman.  

When joining a club, many members will have impactful memories tied to it. For some, there will be unforgettable moments that will forever be something to look back on. 

“The buddy walk was one of the best days of my life and I’m so glad I got to experience it,” said Heidger. “Another one of my favorite memories is getting to volunteer at a community respite night with fellow club members.”

Educational boosters have teamed up with the club to hold local fundraisers. The team is also taking steps to make a difference one step at a time in the community. 

“When I joined the team, I knew I had a passion for helping others,” said Richman. 

The team’s message is to spread positivity to everyone without judgement. Some may agree that making friends is tough, but this team has sent out a message to include everyone.   

The AD team is always looking for new members to join, the club focuses on including everyone. Making a new friend is the main goal for the team, you are able to get to know many different people and maybe even someone who could be a forever friend. 

“This club has changed me 100% for the better,” said Heidger. “I have learned so many lessons from every single person. I learned how to be there for people and accept everyone for who they are.”