A COOL Week at Davis Elementary

February 18, 2016

Growing up with Dyslexia made it very difficult for me to progress in my studies. I had many challenges and many teachers who didn’t know what to do with my challenges. Each year I would be moved to the next grade level without any understanding of the previous years.
When I was in fifth grade my family decided it was time to pull me out and homeschool me. After two years of homeschooling,I went from being the kid who didn’t know my days of the week or how to read, to being in advanced classes. It was after that that I realized that I wanted to do something that would not only make me feel good, but it would help many students with learning challenges.
After a week at Davis Elementary school, I’ve realized that being with the students and helping them with their studies was the best career choice for me. I felt as though I was a real teacher. My effort to help those students seemed to pay off when they would run up to me with a huge smile on their face because they made a 100 on a test. That in essence is the best feeling because I was there to help them through the process.
Many people have told me that becoming a teacher is the worst thing you could do because the pay isn’t good, but honestly I’m not majoring in education for the pay, I’m majoring in it so I can one day change one’s life just like my family did for me. COOL week taught me that if you want to pursue a passion don’t listen to what others tell you and just go for it.