• Christmas Break December 21-January 8

• Early Release December 20-21

• Midterms December 18-21

Book Review: Station Eleven

Harshita Avirneni, Staff Reporter

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel is a science fiction novel published in 2014 about life before and after a swine flu pandemic, known as the “Georgia Flu”, devastates the world. This book follows the lives of Kirsten Raymonde, Jeevan Chaudhary and Arthur Leander. From these characters’ points of view, Kirsten’s story takes place after the pandemic, Arthur’s story takes place before the pandemic and Jeevan’s story takes place both before and after the pandemic.

One of the my personal favorite parts of this book is the story wide connections that made throughout each chapter. Mandel does an excellent job of dropping hints and Easter eggs for the readers to try to figure out how all characters and the plot connects in a wide variety of ways. Although the author is telling three different stories, all of them intertwine with each other at some point in the book.

Another thing that stood out to me about this book is the beautiful imagery that is used all through the story. Mandel’s descriptions of settings and characters is probably the best I have ever read. When reading this novel, you can tell that every word was chosen carefully and every word is used to its advantage to make the book better.

Station Eleven is definitely one of my favorite science fiction books that I have read. Mandel does an extraordinary job making the story flow and make the readers want to keep reading page after page. The book is also not very long so is very easy to read in a short amount of time. I myself finished the book in two days!  I absolutely recommend this book for anyone searching for a great science fiction novel and recommend it be added to your summer reading list.

About the Writer
Harshita Avirneni, Features Editor

Harshita Avirneni is a junior at Vandegrift and this is her second year on the Vandegrift Voice staff. She joined staff because of her love for writing...