Stadthaus commits to USC

Lily Beth Kerr, Staff Reporter

Senior Alex Stadthaus committed to play football for the University of Southern California on Jan. 28.

Stadthaus received offers from Rice University and the University of California, Berkeley, but ultimately chose USC for its social and academic climate.

“I really wanted to be in Los Angeles, that was kind of my big thing,” Stadthaus said. “I’ve wanted to go there since the beginning of high school, and I felt socially and academically aligned with the school.”

The USC football program was established in 1880 and is a member of the Pacific-12 Conference. Stadthaus’ commitment is classified as a preferred walk on, and ensures him one of the 150 spots on the 2018 team roster.

“The football team really spoke to me and made feel like I was worth something at the university,” Stadthaus said. “The coaches and the players really made me feel like they know what they’re doing.”

Stadthaus and his family were invited to Los Angeles to visit the USC Campus in January. In addition to receiving a tour of the campus they also met the coaches, players and trainers.

“By the end of the day, after watching film with the coach and being able to see what I would actually be doing once I’m there, I knew that it was easily where I could find myself going to school, and that I was going to be going to USC,” Stadthaus said.

USC is the oldest private research university in California and is ranked No. 21 nationally. Stadthaus plans to major in Geoscience, pursuing his interest in earth studies and the oil business.

“Choosing to attend USC isn’t just a four year decision,” Stadthaus said. “It’s a 40 year decision.”

Stadthaus was the kicker for the football team his junior and senior year after being recruited by head football coach Drew Sanders after participating in Kicking for Cash his junior year.  

“He totally committed to his dream of being our starting kicker and worked and worked to get there,” Sanders said. “It’s because of his amazing work ethic that he was able to dominate on the field this past season. We are excited to have our first ever athlete to play football at USC.”