73 °
    74 °
    76 °
    77 °
    77 °
    77 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    72 °
    74 °
    78 °
    80 °
78°/ 66°
83°/ 70°
84°/ 71°

Fall Brings Exciting Opportunties To Austin

Starbucks: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Fall is coming so what does that mean? It’s time for Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Latte. After waiting all year for its return, you can finally have that sweet treat back in your hands. Junior Arin Baltaoglu loves the latte so much he wrote a rap about it. “The pumpkin spice is very nice, if I got the chance, I’d drink it twice.” The Pumpkin Spice Latte is currently being served at Starbucks nationwide.

Sweet Berry Farm

This farm in Marble Falls opens its pumpkin patch on September 24th and runs through November 12th. Besides the pumpkin patch, you can also stuff your own scarecrow, go on hayrides, go through a maze for all ages, ride horses, and get your face painted. Don’t forget the ice cream which comes in pumpkin, strawberry, or a combination of strawberry and blackberry. The ice cream is handmade on the farm and only fruit picked from the Sweet Berry Farm plants is used.

House of Torment

The House of Torment was voted one of America’s Top Five Haunted Houses in 2008 and 2009 and remains one of the scariest haunted houses according to the Travel Channel and MSN. New features for 2011 include The Crash Site, Corridors of Torture, Soul Reaper Invasion, the Undead Lair, the Arena of Wreckage and the Battle for the Clones. Vandegrift junior Kyle Gruber works at the House of Torment portraying a zombie. “Everyone should go to the House of Torment because it’s a fun time and it can get you out of your comfort zone,” Kyle said. The House of Torment is open from September 23rd until October 31st and is located at 523 Highland Mall Blvd. General Admission tickets are $19.99 and the VIP Fast Pass tickets are $29.99.

Football Games

With the return of fall comes the return of Vandegrift football. Our season started in August and continues on into November. At 3-0, this year is bound to be a great season. Our concession stand serves hot chocolate later in the season to keep you warm during the games so grab those Snuggies and come support your Viper football team.

Nightmare on Little Elm Street

Sponsored by Hill Country Bible Church Northwest, Nightmare on Little Elm Street is a must-see in fall. The main attraction is the haunted house that takes place in the woods behind the church. After taking a haunted hayride into the woods, the tour guide disappears, leaving you by yourself to wander through the trees in the dark. Besides the haunted house, there are also carnival rides and games for all ages, making this a family event.  

Peter Pan Mini Golf

The nice weather in fall provides the perfect atmosphere for mini golfing. Peter Pan Mini Golf has been around since 1946, making it a true Austin establishment.  With two 18-hole courses that are priced at under $10 for both, you are guaranteed a good time. Peter Pan Mini Golf is open daily and is located in Downtown Austin.

21st Annual Thundercloud Subs Turkey Trot

The Thundercloud Subs Turkey Trot will continue its tradition for the 21st year on Thanksgiving Day. There are 3 courses provided including a 5 mile, 1 mile and a Kids K. All of the proceeds benefit Caritas of Austin. The Turkey trot has raised over $1.25 million in the last 20 years. You can get fit and enjoy the fall’s new cool weather, as well as helping feed the hungry. This event is definitely a win-win. The Turkey Trot will be located at The Long Center and registration fees are under $22 dollars if you register before October 31st. After that, prices can go up to $30.

Austin Teen Book Festival

If you think fall is great for reading, then the Austin Teen Book Festival is for you.  It is a free event where you can meet your favorite authors, buy books as well as get them signed. There will also be five panels of different authors that you can listen to. 29 authors will be in attendance including Scott Westerfield, Heather Brewer, Alison Noel, Jenny Han, David Levithan and many more. “I have never been to the festival and I am very excited to go,” librarian Ms. Lopez said. The festival will take place on October 1st from 10 am- 5 pm at the Palmer Events Center. The Four Points Middle School principal paid for a bus to bring any students who wish to go to the festival.