It’s definitely not Kansas anymore

A look into the new Family and Consumer Science Teacher Jamie Everett.

October 5, 2015

Growing up in a small town in Kansas, the new family and consumer science teacher introduced FCCLA to her high school. Involved in leadership activities and sports, she influenced the student body from her grades to the volunteer work she’s done in her community.

Jamie Everett began her journey to become a teacher at Kansas State University, where she received a Bachelor of Science in Human Ecology. Majoring in Family and Consumer Science, Everett also minored in Leadership Studies and continued her education to receive an FCS license for grades 6-12 in Kansas, Texas and New Jersey.

“I love teaching,” Everett said. “I’ve pretty much taught everything in Family and Consumer Science ranging from Nutrition and Wellness to Ready, Set, Teach.”

Before teaching became a career for Everett, she was a student teacher at two schools in Kansas. She student taught at Junction City High School and Fort Riley Middle School, which gave her experience.

“I learned a lot about different parts of the world through teaching,” Everett said. “It was very interesting to see the structure of each school and how it compares to Vandegrift.”

Her other work experience include mentoring, tutoring, and she has been a Youth Program Development Assistant. Everett tutored individual and small groups in an FCS related course, time management, study habits, and career skills. She mentored one-on-one with an at-risk student-athlete with learning disabilities.

“It was great getting to mentor and tutor students,” Everett said. “I love Family and Consumer Science, which helped me become familiar with students in many environment.”

Everett has taught in LISD before at Cedar Park and Rouse until her husband’s career caused her to move and teach in New Jersey and New York. She is now back to Austin to teach here.

“I’m so excited to back at Vandegrift,” Everett said. “I love the school culture, values, and people here and missed it when I was gone.”

Everett’s FCCLA journey continues

It takes a special student to have the ambition to begin a club or organization all by themselves, but Jaime Everett was one of those students. She changed the course of FCCLA for her school forever.

Everett began her journey when she started FCCLA with her Family and Consumer Science teacher. She learned the FCCLA leader qualities by being a part of the club and teaching different Family and Consumer Science subjects.

“I love being a part of FCCLA here,” Everett said. “We have a lot of great students who can contribute a lot to the organization.”

She taught at Vandegrift and Cedar Park, where she supervised all of the meetings, service opportunities, STAR events and trips. Everett managed everything to do with FCCLA including finances, fundraisers and bookkeeping. At Vandegrift she had students that competed in STAR events, where they continued on to district, state and the national competition with a business plan for a cupcake store.

“We had a great business plan that was able to advance and win second place at the national competition,” Everett said. “It was good to see what they were able to come up with.”

Along with being the FCCLA coordinator for LISD, Everett gained a lot of professional development, which gave her a better understanding of the organization. She attended advisor training sessions for LISD, completed the Learning Academy Course, and participated in all of the District Professional Development workshops and conferences, which gave her the experience needed to work at Vandegrift.

“I am so excited to be back here,” Everett said. “It’s such a great place to be.”

Everett has also received different honors and awards including the 2011 Hill Country Educational foundation Leadership Grant for FCCLA and the FCSTAT Outstanding Rookie Teacher of the Year Award.

“I was honored to receive the honors I was given,” Everett said. “I can’t wait to see what will happen with FCCLA this year.”