• No School May 27

• AP Exams May 6-17

• Follow us on Twitter, Instagram @vhsstudentmedia

Teacher Spotlight: Mr. Perrone

Kelly Honts, Writer

perrone

1.       Please write a little bit about yourself.

I grew up in a family with Italian roots, surrounded by cousins and spaghetti.  I have a younger brother and sister, and now have a little niece.  I do have an aunt and uncle in Austin, but the rest of my family live elsewhere in Texas, mostly in Bryan/College Station.  My first “real” job, following college, was working for an airline in Dallas; the job was okay but the benefits were amazing.  I traveled both domestically and internationally quite often, and I really miss the travel.  I love experiencing different cultures and exploring new cities.  Nowadays I’m much more of a homebody, reading a lot and watching movies.

2.       What made you decide to teach Physics?

A certain book by physicist Stephen Hawking sparked my interest in physics. At the time, I was a financial analyst living in Dallas.  The book led to more books and eventually an obsession that resulted in me moving to Austin to study physics at UT.  Along the way, I realized how much I wanted to teach the subject.  To me, it’s a fascinating subject and a lot of fun to teach.  By the way, I once had the opportunity to address Dr. Hawking, but I was too nervous to tell him about his impact on me!

3.       What is your favorite part about being a teacher at Vandegrift?

Of course, the best thing about Vandegrift is the students.  I love that we’re a high-achieving school, and that most students are focused and hardworking.  I especially love how thoughtful and compassionate most students are.  We’re a school with a heart.  And values.  Being a part of Vandegrift is something special.

4.       What should students who have you expect for the year?

Physics has its challenges, but it’s a fascinating subject.  My students should expect rigor, but we’re going to have fun along the way.  We’ll discuss all sorts of things about the physical world, attempt to model the world mathematically, investigate how things work in the lab, and maybe drop eggs off the side of the football stadium.

5.       What is one fun fact about yourself?

While a student at Texas A&M University, I was a member of a show choir that represented the university at a number of special events.  One of those events was the opening of the George Bush Presidential Library in College Station.  I got to sing for five U.S. presidents (one had yet to become president) and numerous other dignitaries.  It was quite the experience!

About the Writer
Kelly Honts, Web Editor
Kelly Honts has been a part of the newspaper staff since her sophomore year in 2012. She is the Vice President of Vandegrift's choir program and very involved with both Student Council and NHS. In her free time Kelly has her very own lifestyle blog called The Pretty Peony where she posts about both food and fashion. Kelly hopes to attend the University of Santa Clara and major in marketing so she can eventually go into fashion merchandise. In Kelly's free time she enjoys hanging out with friends, spending time outside, and reading!