66 °
    69 °
    72 °
    73 °
    74 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    72 °
    70 °
    69 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    63 °
    63 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
    65 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
    68 °
April 23
75°/ 55°
Partly Cloudy
April 24
80°/ 62°
Patchy rain nearby
April 25
81°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby

Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Kline

1. Tell me a little about yourself…

I am originally from a very rural town in Northeast Ohio, but I have traveled and lived many places since I left when I was 20. I joined the Navy so I could one day have the money I needed to finish my degree.  I enlisted to operate an electrical distribution system onboard a nuclear aircraft carrier and I was really clueless as to what that meant. All I knew was that “Nukes”, as we were called, were paid the most and earned the most transfer college credits from their military schooling. That was all I cared to know at the time.

I live in Cedar Park with my husband and two kids Cadence (8) and Jackson (7) and my terribly, misbehaved giant, black schnauzer, “Luna”.  My house is rarely ever quiet because the kids and the dog seem to find the most ridiculous acts to play. 

2. What made you decide to teach math?

Deciding to teach math was a long process for me. Ever since high school I wanted to pursue engineering because I loved math and science. I always have admired engineers for all of the incredible things they have developed to make all of our lives safer and easier. However, I liked the profession more than it liked me. In the Navy I became an instructor teaching nuclear power principles and electronic circuits to my fellow sailors (colleagues). I found that I was actually good at something and I LOVED it! Ever since then I have wanted to teach.

Why do I love Math so much? Sometimes I ask myself the same question, but only because I have been doing it for so long. I remember why I love math when a student asks me a question like, “Why do I need to know that” and I can actually come up with a reason with a real application. Math also helps me focus on the moment. When I practice math problems all of the mind chatter goes away and I can focus on the problem I am working on. Working out difficult math problems helps me become better at working out difficult problems in my life.

3. What is your favorite part about being a teacher at Vandegrift?

The students and my math team. I have worked many places and this is the only place I’ve worked where the atmosphere is supportive, friendly and positive. I really feel like my “team” has my back.

4. What should students who have you expect for the year?

A good friend of mine says, “Expectations are resentments under construction.” I have found that to be true. However, they can expect me to maintain a positive environment in my room where the phrase, “I can’t” is not tolerated. 

5. What is a fun fact about yourself?

I really don’t think of myself as “fun” so finding a ‘fun fact’ is difficult.  My idea of fun is yoga and a good book.  However, if you asked my friends they’d probably say I can get a little crazy at dancing and karaoke. I love having a good time while not taking myself too seriously. It’s great therapy!

The only things I really do for myself that are not related to school or my family is my Yoga time and reading.  Wally Lamb is my favorite author and my favorite book is, “I Know This Much is True”.