Freshmen Student Council Profiles

Stephen King, Writer

Zumanah Mahmud President

How long have you been in the council?

“I got elected on Tuesday, so it’s been a week.”

What is your job all about?

“I’m the president and I have to run the meetings, take everyone’s ideas, and create a final plan and I’m in charge of starting the meetings, and picking up schedules, and contributing everyone’s ideas into one.

What do you like about your job?

“I like bringing people together and making everyone excited about a project and taking everyone’s ideas and making them something great.”

What other activities are you in?

“I’m in Debate, DECA, Drama, C2, AD Team, piano, singing, dancing, programming, art, theater, and that’s it.”

Kate Walsh-Vice President

How long have you been in the council?

“This is my first year.”

What is your job all about?

“I get to assist the Student Council President and come up with ideas and we collaborate together and just help everyone.”

What do you like about your job?

“I think it’s. You get to help plan everything together and it’s a good collaborative way to discuss ideas and you get a say in what goes on.”

What other activities are you in?

“I’m a cheerleader for Vandegrift and I also do it in another competitive gym.”

Trinh Nguyen-Secretary

How long have you been in the council?

“This has been my first year, but during middle school, in my sixth grade year, I have participated in student council.”

What is your job all about?

“I’m the secretary so I basically take notes during the meetings and inform all the members about what’s going on. I also get to talk to the media if necessary.”

What do you like about your job?

“For the most part, I love being a part of the officer team. I get to participate in lots of things and interact with lots of people. It’s a really fun job and I get to become closer friends with the officers.”

What other activities are you in?

“I participate in a lot other extracurriculars. Outside of school, I swim, and I also play the piano and guitar, the AD Team, and DECA.”

Neel Agarwal-Treasurer

How long have you been in the council?

“I’ve been I in the student council for about two weeks. That’s when the results for voting were released.”

What is your job all about?

“As treasurer, I do stuff for fundraisers; more stuff related to money and funds of the school.”

What do you like about your job?

“I haven’t really done much related to it yet because it’s only been a week or two.”

What other activities are you in?

“I plan on joining the VHS Investment Group and possibly STEM club.”

Angela Phan-Historian

How long have you been in the council?

“Ever since a couple weeks ago, I just joined recently.”

What is your job all about?

“As a historian, I have to take pictures of all events pertained to freshmen, and at the end of the year, I put it all in a scrapbook for Student Council, for everyone to remember.”

What do you like about your job?

“I like the fact that I get to capture memories and I like taking pictures of people and since I have a really bad memory, it allows me to document and that’s fun.”

What other activities are you in?

“I’m in debate and DECA.”