The end of the road

Seniors reflect on their final year of marching band

Mel Mcklvy

Seniors performed with the band one last time as a family

Taylor Chronert, Staff Reporter

After the band performed together one last time at Community Night at Monroe Stadium, their emotions rushed over the crowd, as the seniors acknowledged that they’d just finished their last marching performance with the Vandegrift band. 

“It still hasn’t kicked in yet that marching season is over,” senior clarinetist Hagen Walters said. “This group of people made me feel like I can become a leader and guided me through success.”

French horn player and senior London Chamberlain expressed that what he enjoyed most from community night was getting to walk across the field. 

“Walking across the field was something that I’d see seniors do year after year,” Chamberlain said. “I even got to take some pretty sweet photos too so it was great.”

When COVID-19 hit, band had to cut their season short as it was too risky with the band’s population being more than 300 students. They were only able to perform at home football games and the annual Community Night with a socially distanced performance. 

“I am very thankful that we were still able to have a marching season,” senior flute player Sophie Wills said. “Marching band might not be the same for a little while until the pandemic has calmed down and even if the season is shortened or limited next year, I’m glad I was still able to help preserve and ensure all the new members that this year is still important and worthy.”

Through these four years, memories were made throughout their journey from all the competitions they went to, March-A-Thon, and forming tight bonds as a family. 

“My favorite memory was the very moment they called second place at Grand Nationals,” senior front ensemble Mel McKelvy said. “That moment showed that we [knew] we won and it literally felt impossible. Everyone was so happy and we couldn’t believe it and we all goofed off in the encore performance.”

It’s been a year since the band won Grand Nationals in Indianapolis, and it’s a powerful memory for most of the band’s senior members. 

“My favorite part of that trip was not knowing what was gonna happen,” Chamberlain said. “None of us have been to Indianapolis for BOA Grand Nationals before, so hearing that we were leading in the competition and then won was super cool.”

Some seniors are planning on continuing band in college. However, many seniors have also chosen to focus on the next chapter in their lives.

“I very much intend to continue playing my flute and potentially playing in a band or orchestra,” Wills said. “I applied to schools that I can be involved in music and band, however, some of the universities I am applying to do not have an active marching band.” 

Walters said that he’ll miss the friendships and family he’s formed over his years in band the most.

“What I enjoyed most about the clarinet section was that everyone was so enthusiastic, joyful, happy, creative, and exciting to be around,” Walters said. “I enjoyed the social aspect and meeting new people when it comes to what I enjoy most in band because the people I met four years ago are people I am still happy to call friends.”