• No School May 27

• AP Exams May 6-17

• Follow us on Twitter, Instagram @vhsstudentmedia

Legacy social officers reflect on their positon on team

Back to Article
Back to Article

Priya Gregerson, Staff Reporter

They’re a group of girls who are driven by passion, persistence and pride. But they’re also a group of girls who plan events, make presents and spread positivity. 

Juniors Kate Kemmerer and Cassidy Stevenson are the social officers for the Legacies who are in charge of planning social events like team parties, organizing theme days and prepare for gift exchanges during football season with other drill teams. They also encourage teammates and lead team building activities.

“Social officers are important because Legacies is so much more than dance,” Stevenson said. “We have a sisterhood on our team, but if we only see each other in practice then we don’t truly bond and get to know each other.”

Legacy director Holly Lyons added that the social officers also have the name of “fun officers.”

“We have team socials every month that the social officers plan to give our team a place to get to know each other outside of practice and hang out together and have fun,” Lyons said.

So far this year, the social officers have helped in organizing opposing team gifts which they say are really important for the camaraderie of the dance teams in the area. They’ve also planned the team’s annual sister reveal pool party, a Halloween party and a party barge social.

“I love planning events,” Stevenson said. “I’m especially excited for our banquet at the end of the year. It’s really cool to be able to budget and negotiate with vendors to make our socials the best as possible.”

Each week during football season, the social officers are also responsible for picking the Spirit of the Legacies award. The Spirit of the Legacies is a separate award given out to a team member based on their attitude not skills.

“The Spirit of the Legacies is someone on the team who is always uplifting and positive, who’s always just a bright light to where, you know, people are up late and studying and doing homework and it’s early morning practice,” Lyons said. “So sometimes that’s a good place to be grumpy sometimes. This person on the team is just someone who really lifts everyone up and supports them and is outstanding in that way.”

Kemmerer said that being a social officer has taught her about communication, time management, and organizational skills  that she can apply to other areas of her life.

“Being a social officer helps me in every class because it teaches me time management and organizational skills,” Kemmerer said. “Being a social also means that you have to communicate with the directors, so this helps me in my communication with other teachers at school.”

Both Kemmerer and Stevenson attended Canyon Ridge Middle School and were officers on the drill team, the Dyami Dancers. In eighth grade, Kemmerer was co-captain and Stevenson was a lieutenant.

“It’s a completely different world [now],” Stevenson said. “Middle school was dance focused. Socials have a dance that we compete with but everything is more behind the scenes. We do the crafty stuff, team bonding games, events and more.”

To become social officers, both girls had to try out last spring. The audition included an interview with judges, notebooks graded by the directors and a team vote.

“[I wanted to be a social officer because] I wanted to be able to give back to my team,” Stevenson said. “Legacies has been such an important part of high school for me and I love spending time with my Legasistas, so I thought this was the perfect position. The social officers when I was a rookie were also so cool and made Legacies such a fun, happy environment.”

Follow @vhslegacies on Instagram