Second To None

Girls Golf team become 2022 State Runner-Ups (Golf Booster Club)

Karissa Gonzales, Staff Reporter

After the Boys Golf team played at Legacy Hills Golf Course for states, it was now the Girls Golf Team turn for the gold. Through the Texas heat, our Girls Golf team were the runner ups in the 2022 States Tournament, placing 2nd. 

Our expectation from the end of last year’s state tournament was to win,” head Golf Coach Lee said. “We were the state runner ups last year so the only goal was first place.”

Even though this was senior Chaemin Kim’s second time playing state, she had some mixed feelings because this was her last high school tournament. 

Well I wasn’t really surprised when I knew we made it to state since I had this feeling that we could definitely make it,” Kim said. “The first thing that came into my mind was ‘Oh we made it, nice, welp time to practice.”

Sophomore Danica Lundgren learned a few things throughout the tournament. She knows that she’s capable of a lot more than she gives herself credit for. Fighting hard both days, she’s gained confidence that she should have had a long time ago.

My main goals were to improve from last year and give this tournament my all,” Lundgren said. However, my favorite memory from this tournament was on the first day, I finished with two birdies after not having the best start to the day.”

Lee expresses how proud he is of his girls becoming back to back state runner ups and the only team that was in the Top 3 consecutive years. He considers this a great accomplishment. He’s also very proud of sophomore Sydney Givens for winning the individual state championship.

One of my favorite memories was playing my final golf tournament with both Coach Lee and Coach Ellis. They have supported me since day one and it is hard to see them go,” Givens said. “As well as our coaches to see senior Min having her final putt with high school golf was hard to see.”