62 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    66 °
    64 °
    63 °
    63 °
    62 °
    62 °
    63 °
    63 °
    63 °
    63 °
    63 °
    62 °
    62 °
    62 °
    62 °
    62 °
    62 °
    62 °
April 19
68°/ 60°
Moderate rain
April 20
63°/ 56°
Moderate rain
April 21
59°/ 49°
Patchy rain nearby

2011 Viper Football – A Win, A Rivalry And An Upset

Another school year brings another season of high school football in the state of Texas. The Vipers now have their very first senior class in school history, but how will that affect them this season?

Most likely to win: Crockett

While Crockett has good depth on the defense, inexperience on the offense is a definite low point for the Cougars – despite having a decent senior running back in Joseph Basemore. Expect the Viper offense, led by senior quarterback Dakota Prukop, senior running back Yuron Shears and senior wide receiver Brandon Brown to score early and crush the Cougars by the end of the game.

Biggest Rival: Rouse

Rouse is the most likely candidate for our biggest rival. Like Vandegrift, this is also their first year with seniors on the squad and because of that, no matter which sport we play them against, it is an equally matched game with a lot at stake. The last time we played Rouse, they were given the chance to win their first ever varsity game in school history when they took the lead with less than a minute left in the game. Their effort was stopped when we got into field goal range and scored to win the game 31-29. Rouse would end the 2010 season winless, but earned their first varsity win against Liberty Hill in their season opener.

Upset: Cedar Park

Cedar Park is coming off their best season last year, going undefeated in regular season play before falling in the semi-final round of the playoffs to the eventual 4-time defending state champion Lake Travis Cavaliers. Last week the Timberwolves lost a tough one to Westwood 21-13, but they will most likely improve and win last their last 3 games in non-district play. The offense is led by Brian Hogan, who was the District 25-4A MVP last season; however they have lost some key players from last season, including linebacker Chet Moss, offensive lineman Spencer Drago and wide receiver Dylan Cox. The defense is still one their biggest strengths, being led by senior safety Zach Espinosa and senior full back Zach Horne. The Viper offense will have to keep scoring if they are wanting to this one close, and the defense will have to stop Hogan gaining big rushing yards.

The Vipers should make the playoffs this year, despite playing in one of the toughest districts in the state. Expect the Vipers to be a major force in District 25-4A.