• No School May 27

• AP Exams May 6-17

• Follow us on Twitter, Instagram @vhsstudentmedia

DEA Maltz Challenge Preview

Emma-Rose Floyd, Staff Writer

The annual Maltz Challenge is almost here. The event is to be held Friday, March 21 at Trauma Crossfit in Round Rock, or Saturday, March 22 at Camp Mabry. The event is free for all.
The annual event is a Crossfit challenge consisting of a 400 meter run, 50 pull ups, a 100 yard Fireman’s Carry or 200 yard Farmer’s Walk with 50 Ib (men) or 25 Ib (women) dumbbells, 50 dips, 100 pushups, 50 knees to elbows, 100 sit ups, 400 meter run.
This event, held by the Drug Enforcement Austin Foundation (DEA) and the United States Department of Justice, started in 2007. The event is held to honor Michael Maltz, who was killed in action during a mission in Afghanistan in 2003, and it has evolved to honor all fallen soldiers. Anyone can join, including the Federal Law enforcement Agencies, State and Local Law enforcement, Military personnel, and friends of the Vandegrift Family.
Registration is closed, but if you are interested in helping, contact Freddy Rivera with any questions at 512-563-8198 or [email protected]

About the Writer
Emma-Rose Floyd, News Editor
Emma-Rose is a senior at Vandegrift. She has been a part of newspaper since her sophomore year. Positions she has held include Social Media Manager, and News Editor, a position she has had for two years. Emma-Rose  is also an active member of Key Club, dances in her free time and is a member of the UIL journalism team. She hopes to major in communications in college and become a full-time journalist.