Choirs to perform Carmina Burana

Choirs to perform Carmina Burana

Jennifer Walker, Editor-in-Chief

Tonight multiple choirs will perform Carmina Burana, a mass orchestra performance. The Chamber and Varsity mixed choirs will sing at the event, along with Vista Ridge and Westlake High School’s choirs will perform too. Soloists from the Houston Grand Opera have also been invited to sing with the choirs.

“I’m really excited about the combination of all three high schools,” choir director Michael Feris said. “With 300-plus high school students and 64 professional musicians that we’ve hired to play the floor orchestra, it’s going to be really fun.”

The performance is tonight at 8 p.m. in the Westlake PAC and has 25 musical numbers.

“I”m most excited to perform with these many performers,” junior Corbin King said. “This is the first time Vandegrift has performed at this magnitude.”

Students have been preparing for the hour and a half performance throughout this school year.

“I like that it’s a challenge,” senior Ericka Myers said. “It is very different and sounds unique, but I love it.”

Yesterday the choirs had a rehearsal with the orchestra and soloists.

“They’re excited,” Feris said. “They haven’t heard it with the orchestra yet. The first time they’re going to get to do that is on Tuesday, so it’s going to be real exciting on Tuesday.”

Myers said that she is excited for the performance, but also enjoys choir in general.

“I love the music that we make,” Myers said. “We are so fortunate to have so many incredible voices that create a sound that goes beyond many other high school choirs.”