Vandy gets the Gold

Emma-Rose Floyd, News Editor

The United States News and World Report awarded the school with a Gold Medal for the second year in a row at the beginning of the school year. The school has also earned a Newsweek national ranking of 437.

“To even be considered for the list, VHS had to distinguish itself from the rest of the schools based on a rigorous,” said principal Charlie Little (quote taken from Four Points News).

The ranking sets the school above other district high school by as many as 115 places. Other district schools such as Cedar Park, Vista Ridge Leander and Rouse are ranked 68th, 96th, 136th, and 167th respectively. The school is one of four central Texas high school’s to receive the gold.

“I’ve taught a lot of places, but this school is one of the greatest,” said leadership teacher Amy Gallagher, who has been here since the school opened in 2009. “It has some of the best students I have ever worked with.”

The US News and World Report annually ranks more than 21,000 public high schools in all 50 states, including the District of Columbia. They award schools with either a gold, silver or bronze medal, based upon their state testing and how prepared students are for college.

“From the very beginning, Vandegrift has been on a mission to be Second to None,” assistant principal Tara Stewart said. “This honor is simply reflective of the drive and dedication of our students and faculty.”