44 °
    44 °
    45 °
    47 °
    50 °
    53 °
    56 °
    59 °
    62 °
    63 °
    64 °
    63 °
    60 °
    58 °
    56 °
    55 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    52 °
    52 °
March 19
65°/ 43°
Partly Cloudy
March 20
64°/ 50°
Patchy rain nearby
March 21
73°/ 57°
Patchy rain nearby

Bye Bye Birdie packs the house

Last weekend, students, teachers and parents packed the Vandegrift PAC for the theater department’s debut of Bye, Bye Birdie. The hordes of people shoving through the doors on Friday and Saturday night were an obvious indication that the show was a hit. With likable characters, catchy tunes, and witty lines out the wazoo, the crowd was on fire for Bye, Bye Birdie.

Mama Peterson, played by Colleen McCool, was definitely a crowd favorite with her over exaggerated portrayal of a New York grandma and her raunchy commentary about superstar Conrad Birdie. Rosie Alvarez, played by Emily Adams, and Albert Peterson, played by Trey Dickerson, drew in the audience with their complicated love-hate relationship and the duo both excelled in the acting and the singing department. Nicole Tate, who played star-struck birdie fan Kim, hit all the right notes and proved the difficulty of teenage love along with characters Conrad Birdie (Dylan Marrs) and Hugo Peabody (Nick Birk). Olsen Kelly (dad), Victoria Brown (mom), and Max Hunter (little brother) played Kim’s adorable and hilarious average family from Sweet Apple. Ohio.

Not only was the musical well cast, but the dancers were on beat and their energy was infectious. The costumes and set designs were bright, bold and true to the time period, thanks to the innovative set and tech departments.

Overall, the musical was an adorable performance by Vandegrift’s theater department, and has set the bar high for the plays to come.