64 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    57 °
    56 °
    56 °
    56 °
    58 °
    60 °
    63 °
    66 °
    69 °
    70 °
    72 °
    73 °
    73 °
    72 °
    70 °
    68 °
    67 °
    65 °
March 28
75°/ 49°
Sunny
March 29
74°/ 56°
Partly Cloudy
March 30
78°/ 59°
Overcast

Students Swelter In Record Setting Summer Heat

The record for most triple-digit temperature days in a row was broken in Austin on August 24, 2011 after a 70-day streak.

The heat is dangerous and has had many different impacts on students and faculty all around campus. The most important factor has been prevention of any heat-related illnesses. In sports and other extra-curricular activities, precautions had to be taken.        

“We educated [the students] on hydration prior to the activity. We also had water readily available. There was a cold zone set up, and we educated the coaches on proper care,” Doc Boeling, campus trainer, said.

For students in outdoor-centered sports such as football or cross country, the heat has been a very prominent factor in their daily routines.

“It makes working out outdoors difficult, and I have to take extra precautions to stay cool and hydrated,” Tatum Joines, sophomore, said.

Many students are doing whatever they can do avoid the heat. Even going to the pool isn’t much of a solution anymore, because the water stays warm under the harsh sun.

“The heat made the water really hot… So you’re swimming in water that’s about the same temperature of your body,” Katie Schaal, sophomore, said.

If even a day in the water can’t keep someone cool, then what can? When sports come into the picture, it’s even more important because not only is it uncomfortable, it just isn’t safe.                       

“Band has been brutal. Everyone is having heat issues, and our full uniform performances have been really hot,” Lienne Ng, sophomore, said.

It’s also very necessary to stay hydrated and keep your body temperature down. Every year, a death is reported by a parent because of a child being left in a hot car. This year, a man was reported to have received 2nd-degree burns from falling asleep in the sun. Most people don’t realize the risks that the heat poses, but nonetheless they are very real. If students don’t drink enough water, they will very possibly suffer from a heat-related illness.

“We have to drink a lot more water than usual because we are sweating so much.” Ng said.

Some students have found ways to stay hydrated and still enjoy the time they spend outside.

“I bedazzled my huge water bottle. It’s all pink and sparkly. My cute water battle kept me cool,” Alyssa Muir, senior, said.

Lake Travis has also been one of the biggest victims of the dry weather. A lake that reaches its’ capacity at 681 feet is now 30 feet below average elevation.

“It’s kind of depressing that the lake is so low and you can see all the dried up land,” Nicole Tate, sophomore, said.

While summer can be a fun time to spend the day at the beach or going to sports practices, people need to be aware of the dangers. Sunburns, heatstroke, and dehydration are just a few of the risks that students are taking by stepping outside each day. The most important thing is to take the right precautions, like drinking enough water and letting someone know if you feel extremely dizzy or sick. Even though the heat is raging, students and faculty are still finding ways to stay cool and stay safe so they can enjoy the outdoors. Many people are also eagerly awaiting the cooler weather.

“Where’s winter when you need it?” Jesse Testerman, freshman, said.

One of the most necessary things in Austin right now is rain, and most people would love just one rainy day.

“I find it devastating because there’s so much I want to do but I’m stuck inside. It’s so sad, I want to do rain dances,” Ms. Wood, English teacher, said.

View Comments (1)