68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    64 °
    63 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
    64 °
    64 °
    65 °
    66 °
    68 °
    70 °
    74 °
    77 °
    78 °
    78 °
    77 °
    76 °
    76 °
    75 °
    73 °
73°/ 55°
Partly Cloudy
78°/ 64°
81°/ 68°

A City Full of Summer Fun

During the summer, there’s plenty of time to sleep in and relax. But after a while even that can get tiring, if not boring. So here are ideas to keep busy with friends, family, and your precious little pets.

Fun with Friends:

1. Austin Carriage Tours

With headquarters located at 8413 FM 973, this fun carriage ride takes you and your friends on a tour through downtown to see all the lights and night life. Learn about the history and attractions behind Austin as well as beautiful site seeing for only $100 an hour.

2. Austin Ghost Tour

This tour takes place after dark and walks you through all the haunted houses of downtown Austin, some of which include the famous Driskill hotel, for only $20. But if walking doesn’t sound fun, there are other options. Austin Ghost Tours provides $25 trolley tours as well and even offer $55 investigations where, for three hours, you can team up with those featured on PBS “Haunted Texas” and the Biography Channel’s “My Ghost Story” to learn pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about spirits, ghosts, and angels. Located at 617 Congress Avenue, the ghost tours are easy to find and fun for even the scaredy pants.

3. Concerts at Stubb’s

Stubb’s is a famous BBQ joint that features famous bands and great live music at night, and this summer, they’ve got it booked big. On June 7, the one and only Snoop Dogg is coming to Stubb’s for only $35. And on June 11, the Temper Trap is showing for $25. Stubb’s is located on 801 Red River.

4. Six Flags

Everyone knows that the whiplash from rides at Six Flags is well worth the pain. But not everybody knows that tons of brand new rides are coming for this summer. Some of the new rides include high speed roller coasters like Superman Ultimate Flight, Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast, Goliath and Apocalypse. And for those that have a hard time handling whip lash and multiple G forces, there will be two new water slides opening up as well as a relaxing swing ride. Six Flags is a steal for $35 day passes.

5. Zip Line

Lake Travis Zip Line Adventures offers the longest zip line in Texas, ranging 250 feet long. The last line of the zip course launches off a cliff 20 stories high and spans 2,000 feet across Lake Travis. And while zip lining is always fun and exhilarating, Lake Travis Zip Line Adventures offers something even more thrilling. On June 6th, Lake Travis Zip Line Adventures offers zip lining during the full moon. Lake Travis Zip Line is located at 14529 Pocahontas Trail, Volente and for $89 you car zip around Lake Travis all day.

Fun with Family:

1. Austin Children’s Museum

Aimed at children from 0-11, the Austin Children’s Museum is an exciting collection of interactive displays, demonstrations and exhibits. Kids can hone their social, physical and creative skills in a variety of learning and play environments. There’s even a special area for children under two and their parents. The Children’s Museum is located on 201 Colorado Street.

2. Austin Zoo

With more than 300 animals across more than 100 different species, Austin Zoo is a private, non-profit zoo rescuing animals and serving the Austin community. This zoo features every animal from big cats to cute monkeys. Located on 10808 Rawhide Trail, the zoo is not only beautiful, but easy to get to and worth the $6 per student with valid ID.

3. Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center

There’s more to this wildflower center than what meets the eye. While a nice, casual stroll through the gardens of beautiful flowers is always relaxing, the wildflower center offers an exhibit showing Shou Ping’s perplexing paper sculptures until May 28. They also are holding Nature Nights, which starts June 21 from 6 to 9 PM. These Nature Nights are fun explorations of plants, animals and the ecology of Central Texas. Each evening features interactive presentations, hikes with experts in their fields, and nature crafting for kids of all ages. June 21 is all about butterflies, June 28 is about hummingbirds, July 5 is about the power of plants, July 12 is about birds of prey, July 19 is about bats and July 26 is about slithery snakes. The flower center is located on 4801 La Crosse Ave and costs $7 per student.

4. Bob Bullock Museum

The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum is much more than just a museum. Its exhibits include the history of Native Americans, the settling of Texas, the Texas Revolution, the big oil boom, exploration of space and areal displays. But there’s more going on behind the scenes. Bob Bullock Museum is hosting a free concert series every Sunday night starting on May 6. Cajun & Zydeco music is featured on the first night, Blues and R&B Night is on May 20 and Western and Jazz night is on May 27. The museum also has a two story tall IMAX screen that’s showing Flying Monster, Ocean Wonderland, To the Arctic, and Texas the Big Picture, all in 3D. The Bob Bullock Museum is located on 1800 North Congress Avenue and costs $5 per youth.

5. Peter Pan Mini Golf

This putt-putt course isn’t your average mini golf experience. Featuring the famous Peter Pan figure that overlooks downtown, this course is fun for everyone from the adults to even the littlest of kids in the family. Holes include a giant T-Rex, 101 Dalmatians, a whale, a Converse tennis shoe, a castle, jolly pirates and a crazy turtle. Located at 1207 Barton Springs Road, this putting course is open until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays, allowing for plenty of fun late into the night. It only costs $6 for one course and $9 for both.

Fun with Pets:

1. Lady Bird Lake

The trails surrounding and running along the beautiful Lady Bird Lake provide not only a gorgeous scene, but also a path for you and your pet to run, walk or bike on. The trail stretches 7.2 miles and is an easy course to run.

2. Zilker Park

Zilker offers a short, scenic train ride on the Zilker Zephyr, canoe services on Lady Bird Lake, a large multi-age playground, trails and large picnic areas. For dogs that love to swim, Zilker offers Barton Springs Pool, a natural spring-fed pool with a year-round average temperature of 68 degrees. There’s plenty of room for you and your dog to throw Frisbees, play tug-of-war and play fetch.

3. Yappy Hour

The Irie Bean Coffee Bar holds a monthly get together called the Austin Yappy Hour. On the last Friday of the month, you can take your dog to get pampered with a manicure and pedicure, geared up with new leashes, collars. You can get training tips from Nancy Cusick while your pup plays with the other dogs. Irie Bean Coffee Bar is located on 2310 South Lamar.

4. Keep Austin Weird 5K

This year is the tenth annual Keep Austin Weird Fest on June 23. At 2 PM the festival begins with plenty of food, drink and Austin weirdness and at 7 PM the 5K race begins. Bring your pet to play fetch in the fields and listen to live music before running the 5K. Dress up in the weirdest costume you can find for you and your dog to win a $100 prize while at the festival. The race will take place at the Long Center, located at 701 West Riverside Drive.

5. Yoga

Doga, as it’s commonly called, has all the same health benefits of yoga: increased flexibility, strength, energy and endurance. The only difference, of course, is that you’re sharing the mat with your dog. During this ancient exercise with a modern twist, expect to help position your pet into poses as well as do your own. In some classes, owners also perform massage and reflexology on their dogs, adding to the overall calming effect. The craze started in New York, and now its hit Austin thanks to Marilyn Swick who is teaching Doga at Southpaws Playschool, located at 2324B South Lamar Boulevard.