68 °
    65 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    57 °
    56 °
    56 °
    56 °
    56 °
    57 °
    60 °
    63 °
    66 °
    69 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    68 °
March 28
75°/ 49°
Sunny
March 29
74°/ 56°
Partly Cloudy
March 30
78°/ 59°
Overcast

10 Books to Cure Hunger Games Withdrawls

Although I have not taken the time to read the phenomenon that is The Hunger Games trilogy, I realize that 99% of the population has. I also realize that when the 99% finished the series- they felt as though they were lost without the compelling novels.

So perk up fanatics. Life goes on. Below you will find a list of books sure to cure your withdrawals, courtesy of school librarian Ms. Lopez.

1. The Compound by SA Bodeen

“Eli and his family were forced underground by a changing world. The compound was designed to keep them safe but that may be changing as well. The monotony of living in the same space is taking hold of his family’s mind. How safe really is the compound?” Ms. Lopez

2. Divergent by Veronica Roth

“In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.” goodreads.com

3.      The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

“Prentisstown isn’t like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else’s thoughts. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee — whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not — stumble upon an area of complete silence, something terrible has been hidden — a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.” goodreads.com

4.      The Maze Runner by James Dashner

“When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. But he’s not alone, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls. Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.” goodreads.com

5.      Blood Red Road by Moria Young

“Saba and her twin brother Lugh have grown-up in a wasteland. Survival is tough but they have had each other, until now. After Lugh is captured, Saba must set out to find him, which means leaving the only place she has ever known. Can she survive this new and dangerous world?” Ms. Lopez

6.      Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

“Catastrophic disasters around the world send Miranda and her family into survival mode. No groceries stores, limited food supply, no electricity, and disease are a few of the challenges facing the family. How long can her family survive?” Ms. Lopez 

7.      Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

“Exiled from her home, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland are slim. If the cannibals don’t get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild – a savage – and her only hope of staying alive. But he needs Aria’s help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.” goodreads.com

8.      Matched by Ally Condie

“Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander’s face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate… until she sees Ky Markham’s face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Cassia begins to doubt the Society’s infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she’s known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.” goodreads.com

9.      Enclave by Ann Aguirre

“For those living in post-apocalyptic New York there are few choices. Each resident must decide between becoming a breeder, builder, or hunter. For fifteen year old Deuce it’s simple, she has always wanted to hunt. Hunters use the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group. Until now the hardest part has been survival but is something darker and sinister a greater threat?” Ms. Lopez

10. Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

“In this science fiction novel, the consequences of exhausting earth’s natural resources have caught up with the world. The ice caps have melted, complete cities reside under water, and oil is scarce. Nailer survives by stripping copper wiring from old oil tankers in the Gulf Coast.  Anything he recovers he must turn into his boss. During a mission, Nailer stumbles upon something very valuable; can he give this up and hope for a brighter future? Or must he follow the rules and resume a life of harsh survival?” Ms. Lopez  

Now, I’m not saying these books are “the next Hunger Games.” I am just trying to show you, with the help of Ms. Lopez, that there is more out there for your strung-out eyes to read.