School should change grading system

Ashley Chase, Editor in Chief

Currently, the school’s grading system is divided into six six week grading periods, with three each semester. Each six weeks, teachers are required to log at least two homework assignments, two quizzes, and two tests in the gradebook.

The school should change the present grading system to more mimic a college format by extending the six weeks grading period to a full semester and requiring fewer grades.

The current grading system puts more pressure on students to perform well than a college system. By requiring a certain amount of grades every six weeks, students are tested often on subject material and in order to maintain their GPA must perform consistently well on frequent tests and quizzes. Since a minimum amount of tests and quizzes must be logged by the end of a six weeks period, students are also often tested at the same time in multiple classes every few weeks, making it hard to keep up with graded classwork and perform their best. By extending the grading period, tests could be spaced out better and students would have fewer assessments to stress over and could concentrate on understanding lessons and doing homework thoroughly rather than just for a grade.

Also, the current grading system causes unnecessary work for teachers. By requiring a minimum amount of grades every six weeks, teachers often must be making tests and quizzes over learned material whether or not these assessments are actually needed at that point in the curriculum. By requiring fewer grades and giving teachers a longer grading period, teachers can be more flexible in their approach to best teach their students and spend more time on preparing their students with lessons and class work rather than constantly grading tests and have students study only for the test and not for learning of the subject.

Some people may disagree and say that by requiring fewer assignments, students are at the risk of having their GPA drop from one bad grade during the semester. However, with the new system students would be better prepared for a college environment where most of their grade for the semester hinges on only a few tests, making the transition to college easier and their initial performance in college better. Also, the retake policy would still be in place for students to retake a test or quiz they performed poorly on during the semester, a policy that is similar to the current one most AP classes have.

Overall, by extending the grading period to a semester and requiring fewer grades in the gradebook, schools would be relieving stress on the part of students and teachers while preparing students for a rigorous college environment. The school could also implement part of this suggestion by only extending the grading period to nine weeks and only eliminating homework grades while requiring the same amount of tests and quizzes.