Sophomores choose courses for junior year

Jennifer Walker, Editor-in-Chief

Sophomores met with their alpha counselors  during their science classes on Tuesday and Wednesday in the lecture hall, where they listened to a presentation by the counselors and filled out their course sheets for their junior year.

“I like how we do course selections,” sophomore Nicole Ramirez said. “Course selections are really helpful when planning out what classes to take the next year.”

Interactive choice sheets have been posted on the school website, giving students the option to watch videos about courses they’re interested in taking.

“Remember last year when you could go and click on something?” counselor Jennifer Fisher said. “Teachers are recording things this week.”

Students can also use the course catalog to read descriptions about courses available to take next year.

“I think the course catalog can be helpful,” sophomore Tanner Bendorf said. “It helps you make decisions when planning your courses for the next year.”

Counselors have students choose their courses early in the year to allow time to hire new teachers and create a master schedule.

“I like [that we do course selections early],” sophomore Katie Butz said. “It gives you time to think and change it if you want to change it.”

Overall, students say they like to have control over the classes they take the following year.

“I think it’s helpful to find what you’re doing next year,” sophomore Piper Swearengin said. “I do think it’s stressful for a lot of students but it definitely helps me put view in what I’m doing.”