Brighten app takes a nasty turn

Sophia Alaniz, Web Editor

Yet another app has swept the student body: Brighten. The app was created in 2013 by Bucknell University student Austin Kevitch. Brighten is an app where users can make anonymous compliments to their friends. According to the website the app was intended to make someone’s day and spread positivity easily. It had the best intentions, but like any other social media app it can be used as a platform for cyberbullying.

“I really like it, I feel if people use it for their intended purposes it can be really sweet and nice and really uplifting,” junior user Lizzy Patterson said. “I’ve only gotten good messages and I’ve only given good messages off of it.”

The app is 28th in the app store and free and right now there is no possible way to actually delete your Brighten profile. There is a update coming up soon which will eliminate this problem.

“My friend had one [an account on Brighten]  and she had it for like 24 hours and then she deleted it because all she got was hate.” freshman Meredith Robertson said. “When she told me about it she started crying and she doesn’t know how to delete her profile but all she got was people calling her names [on the app].”

The website says studies show that appreciating people everyday will make you happier in real life too.

“Yeah it brightens my mood, when it is nice.” senior user Emma Spasaro said. “If you do post hate I can just say to you, if you have a problem with someone just tell them to there face or don’t say anything at all, just get a life.”