Homework Help finishes the year with success

Maria Krychniak

Madeleine LeBoeuf helps a student with her homework

Maria Krychniak, Staff Writer

Homework Help, a volunteer tutoring organization held at Cups and Cones led by seniors Austin Stelling, Nikita Batra, Greta Handing and Naomi Rapier, closes out their year successfully.

“This year’s Homework Help turned out really great,” Batra said. “We were a lot more organized and we had a lot of students and tutors participate in the program.”

The organization has been up and running for a few years now, but this past year has been one of their best. With volunteers signing up through National Honors Society, and PALS, the organization has been able to help tutor kids of all ages in almost any subject.

“We tutor kids that are in elementary school to kids who are in high school,” Handing said. “We have a lot of kids who need help in all subjects, are most popular ones being in math.”

Since Homework Help is run by all seniors that will be graduating soon, the leaders recently took applications and interviewed students to select the new officers for next year. The new leaders of Homework Help will be Rohan Gupta, Sydney Prucha, Lauren McCarthy, Carmela Quintos, Amar Srinivasan and Darby Wright.

“We were looking for people who showed leadership and organization skills and also had a passion for helping others,” Batra said. “We are very excited about the new leaders for next year and can’t wait to see what they do with the program.”

Looking to expand next year, a new location in River Place will hopefully open and will be able to accommodate not just kids from Steiner Ranch but also kids in River Place, Four Points and Grandview areas.

“Hopefully the second location will be up and running by the second semester of the 2015-2016 school year,” Handing said. “We’re hoping that by adding a new location, more students will be able to participate that live in the Four Points area.”